AC Service | Energy Saving Tips For Vacation
AC Service | Before you start a vacation, invest a few minutes in turning things off. By giving your appliances and electronics a vacation, you’ll be reducing energy waste and avoiding safety hazards. And, the money you save can help pay for your trip.
- If it’s a cool time of the year, turn down your ceiling heat, wall heaters, baseboard heaters and/or furnace thermostat to 50 degrees. If it’s summer and you have air conditioning, turn off the AC or turn the temperature setting up to 85 degrees.
- When you are going to be gone more than three days, turn off the water heater at the electric panel box. Note that if your water heater is in an unconditioned space (e.g., unheated garage), there could be a risk of freezing if you are gone during the winter months. When you return, you may want to drain the water that has been sitting stagnant in the water heater.
- Turn off unnecessary lights and use compact fluorescent lamps (CFLs) or light emitting diodes (LEDs) that are energy efficient.
- Turn off power to computers, TVs and all electronic devices when not in use to avoid wasting standby power, which can account for as much as 10 percent of home energy use. Plug multiple devices into a power strip with a surge protector so you can turn them all off with the flip of one switch, while also protecting them from damage.
- Refrigerators and freezers run more efficiently when full, so fill them with water jugs to take up space while you’re gone. Set the refrigerator temperature to 35 to 40 degrees and the freezer temperature to zero to 10 degrees.
- Turn off the hot tub, or lower the temperature setting and reduce run times.
- Turn off outdoor decorative water fountains, features and pumps.
- Check the garage and outbuildings (such as wood shops and studios) to make sure all unused electric devices are off or unplugged.
- Read the meter when you leave and when you get home so you will know how many kilowatt-hours were used. This is a smart way to detect hidden energy wasters such as electronic devices that appear to be off but are really on standby or phantom power. -Save Energy
Air Quality control operates 24 hours a day, always ready to assist you with any cooling needs you may have. We are a family owned AC Repair Service company and offer a Comprehensive AC Service in St. Petersburg and surrounding areas!