According to The Centers for Disease Control, carbon monoxide poisoning is a primary cause of unintentional poisoning deaths – causing around 15,000 emergency room visits and about 500 deaths annually in the United States. There are startling gaps in what homeowners do and don’t know about keeping safe.
Carbon Monoxide Infographic Thumbnail
Many common household appliances release carbon monoxide
Carbon monoxide is a colorless, odorless gas that can build to dangerous levels in your home when fuel-burning devices are not correctly vented, operated or maintained. Inhalation of CO can cause carbon monoxide poisoning which attacks the nervous system, heart and could be fatal. It’s critical to have your home inspected for carbon monoxide regularly to help ensure safe air quality.
Common sources of CO in homes include certain:
What do you know about CO?
A survey results show the alarming lack of information homeowners have about the risks of carbon monoxide:
66% don’t know if they would recognize the symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning (headache, nausea, dizziness, or confusion).
94% of homeowners know that the furnace can discharge deadly carbon monoxide gas, but more than half (54%) don’t get an annual furnace tune-up, a simple step that can help ensure good furnace operation and venting.
54% don’t know the preferred place in the home to install a carbon monoxide detector (the Consumer Product Safety Commission says a detector outside of each separate sleeping area).
More than half of homeowners (54%) don’t know that the clothes dryer may be a source of carbon monoxide; 25% don’t know that that fireplace also could be a source. Other likely sources include gas water heaters, gas ranges, charcoal grills, gas space heaters and wood burning stoves.
Over one third of homeowners (34%) don’t have or can’t be sure if they have a carbon monoxide detector in their home; 41% say they never swap out their carbon monoxide detector, or they aren’t sure how often it is replaced.