Energy Saving Tips
Here’s a checklist of some simple tips for keeping your Florida home at desired temperatures throughout the winter without paying more than you need to.
- Change or clean your furnace filters on a regular basis, or at least once a month. This will help to improve efficiency. This can also help to improve indoor air quality. If you have pets, you may need to clean or change the filters more often.
- Try to keep several filters on hand throughout the heating season, and keep a calendar or some sort of reminder system to let you know when it is time to change your filters. Some thermostats feature a setting that lets you know when it is time for a filter change. If you would like more information on how to change your air filter, give us a call any time.
- Consider installing a programmable thermostat to help keep heating bills down. These thermostats let you have more control over your heating system by automatically turning it off when it is not needed as much, such as at night or when you are away. You can program these models to fit your schedule.
- Ask for a home energy audit to see if there are small things you can do, such as add weather-stripping or sealing cracks. You can also perform a flame test by putting a candle near doors and windows to see if the flame flickers due to a draft.
- Schedule a heating tune-up and inspection once a year to ensure optimal performance.
- Install “draft blockers” or gasket insulators behind light switches and electrical outlets.
- Plant deciduous trees outside windows on the south side of your house to provide shade in summer and allow sunlight in winter.
- Install ceiling fans, which can be reversed in the winter to push warm air that rises back into the living spaces.
- Add attic insulation to increase the efficiency of your heating system. A good standard is to reach “R30,” or ask a contractor if you aren’t sure.
- Make sure drapes, furniture, or rugs do not block vents and clean vents regularly with a vacuum to ensure proper airflow.
Call Us Today! Air Quality Control – Heating and Air Professionals. Award Winning Quality Service with the Same Owners since 1980! Service 24/7 Standing By | 727-469-3832